Banana blossoms, although have no particular distinct flavour, may add an exotic touch to the salad or other vegetable dishes. Coming back home a few weeks ago, I had fun experimenting with various type of veggies available mostly in Asia like this banana blossoms – and papaya blossom (posted next). The distinct fragrance of banana blossom brings back childhood memories. Mom used to serve them steamed with sambal and sayur lodeh.
* 1 whole banana blossom
* 1/4 lettuce – thinly sliced
* 2 pcs carrots – julienned
* 3 pcs shallots – thinly sliced
* 2 pcs garlic, smashed
* 1 tbs dried shrimp – pounded smooth (optional)
* 1 cup fresh mint leaves
* 1 cup fresh cilantro
* 1 cup fresh thai basil (optional)
* 2 pcs lemon
* 2 pcs red chilies – processed
* olive oil, fish sauce, salt, pepper, sugar to taste
* roasted peanuts to sprinkle
1.) Peel banana blossom to a lighter color of petal.
Do not discard the petals which can be used for plating
2.) Thinly slice the blossom, soak in lemon squeeze, vinegar & salt for 1 hr.
3.) Prepare dressing by mixing olive oil, fish sauce, garlic, red chilies,
salt, sugar, dried shrimp, vinegar/lemon squeeze. Taste it
4.) In a bowl, mix in lettuce + all leaves & shallots.
Add banana blossoms & dressing
5.) Serve on petals, sprinkle with roasted peanuts