The recipe has been modified from various different sources, the stuffing is almost similar to the chinese spring rolls. Steamed sweet potato is added to the peanut sauce to thickens and give a not-so-skippy’ish flavour to the sauce. Which might have been the reason why my husband was always a bit hesitant trying savouries doused in peanut sauce. He probably thinks peanuts would only go in sandwiches.
* Beancurd with a slightly hard texture – cut triangles
(or any beancurd that you can make a pocket)
* 150 gr beansprouts
* 1 pcs carrot – julienned
* 3 pcs shiitake mushrooms – thinly sliced
* 4 pcs garlic
* 5 pcs shallots
* 2 tbs dried baby shrimp – ground (optional)
* 1 pcs chicken fillet – sliced thinly
* spring onions – chopped thin
* 2 pcs eggs
Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
* 5 tbs Skippy Peanut Butter (or 1 cup of deep fried peanuts)
* 3 pcs red chilies – boiled for 5 mnts
* 4 pcs garlic – deep fried until golden brown
* palm sugar, salt, maggi block to taste
* 4 pcs kaffir lime leaves
* 1 pcs sweet potato – boiled till soft
* vinegar or extract lemon
1.) With a knife tip, make a hole in the beancurd,
creating a pocket for filling. Set aside
2.) Stir fry shallots + garlic till fragrant.
3.) Stir in chicken, dried shrimp, carrots, mushrooms
4.) Add salt, sugar, maggi block and beansrpouts
5.) Cook through, set aside. Add 2 eggs, mix in throroughly
6.) Place back the fillings into holed beancurd.
Fill them up carefully.
7.) Dip beancurd into batter, deep fry until light brown.
Batter for skin:
** 5 tbs rice flour
** 5 tbs regular flour
** 1 tsp coriander powder
** 2 pcs garlic – processed
** salt, pepper
** 1 pcs of egg
Yummy peanut sauce:
1.) Process boiled chilies + garlic. Set aside
2.) In a skillet, stir in peanut butter, chili + garlic,
palm sugar, salt & pepper
3.) Cook on slow fire, keep stirring till sauce thickens,
add water, lime leaves & vinegar
4.) Keep stirring until the sauce turns dark reddish.
Ready to serve.